Live round-by-round scoring and summary of the heavyweight title fight between #1 Wladimir Klitschko and #2 Ruslan Chagaev.
52-3, 46 KO
25-0-1, 17 KO
Klitschko ranked #1 by IBF, WBO, IBO, Ring, and SportsRatings
Chagaev ranked #1 by WBA (champion in recess), #4 IBO, #3 Ring, #2 SportsRatings
Fight time: 5:00pm eastern on ESPN Classic and espn360.com.
Odds: Klitschko is a nearly 6-1 favorite.
Here we go. Klitschko entering the ring, Chagaev already there. National anthems being played. Chagaev looks like he always does, same expression on his face at all times. Wladimir is sweating. The Ukrainian national anthem is cutting out, mic problems? Bad foreshadowing for Klitschko?
ESPN360 is cutting out, too, as usual. Restarted it in time for Buffer's signature and the introductions. Crowd is slightly for Klitschko, Chagaev has lots of support.
- Round One: Wlad keeping Chag at the end of his jab; Chag's guard is high, jabs hitting his gloves. Chagaev trying to get inside, working hard. Questionable how long he can expend this kind of energy, he needs to get something to work. Wlad connects with a good right, lots of jabs. Klitschko 10-9.
- Round Two: Wlad's jabs getting through Chagaev's guard. Ruslan unable to get past so far, staying in front of Klitschko, trying to go under to the body, rushing in at times. Knockdown by Klitschko in middle of round from a straight right to the chin, Chagaev not hurt but takes an 8 count. Round ends with little action. Klitschko 10-8; overall Klitschko 20-17.
- Round Three: Chagaev gets inside but misses his opportunity. Good left from Klit, good jabs still. Chagaev still standing in front of Klitschko. The height and reach difference are really causing problems for Chagaev, who is not getting shots in at all. Klitschko 10-9; total: Klitschko 30-26.
- Round Four: Chagaev not doing anything diferent in round four early on, just standing in front of Klitschko and taking his punishment. Chagaev tries a lunging hook that misses, the gets hit by a hard right hook. Some ineffective body shots; all his hits are just at the end of the punch and barely tag Klitschko. Wladimir rarely missing, in contrast. Can't be much fun in there for Ruslan Chagaev. More head movement late in the round from Chagaev. Klitschko 10-9; total: Klitschko 40-35.
- Round Five: Chagaev's lunges not working. Chagaev hit by hard right, now in corner, Klitscvhko stalking him. Chagaev moving to his left, toward the hard rights, not taking advantge of his southpaw stance. Klitschko has barely been touched all fight so far, with round 5 ending. Klitschko 10-9; overall Klitschko 50-44.
- Round Six: Wladimir Klitschko's defense has been supurb; whatever gets past his left is blocked with his right. Another jab snaps Chagaev's head back. Chagaev needs a lucky punch to get through. Chagaev gets inside and Klitschko clinches. This may have been Chagaev's best round, as he got hit the least and tried a few things. Still Klitschko's round 10-9; overall Klitschko 60-53.
- Round Seven: Chagaev's few hits have been to Wlad's ribcage. He doesn't look a lot more tired than he started out, so he's not fading, but just hasn't been successful offensively. Wlad delivers another right hand, but Chag doesn't look "ready to fall" at all. Chagaev backs Klitschko up to the ropes but doesn't get the punch he needs. End of the round, right after the bell Chagaev connects with his best shot of the night. Klitschko 10-9; overall 70-62.
- Round Eight: Chagaev's eye has been getting a cut for several rounds and it's starting to open a bit. Chagaev gets Klitschko off balance for a bit, but doesn't charge in, Wlad is loose and dancing. Chagaev gets in an odd, overhand jab, and is starting to use it a bit. Round 8: 10-10; overall 80-72.
- Round Nine: The announcers are talking KO, as the scorecards are academic at this point. But Chagaev doesn't look dead at all. He's got a fairly bad cut, but stammina wise he's not too bad off. But in the last half of this round his back is against the ropes. Klitschko not really going for the kill, still cautious. Klitschko teeing off a bit now, but the round ends. Klitschko 10-9, overall 90-81.